How the law can protect you

Your Rights

According to the Human Rights Act 1998 everyone in the world is entitled to lots of different rights. For a list of your human rights visit the Liberty website.

If a person is being abusive to you then they are denying you the human rights you are entitled to. 

To help appreciate what you are entitled to and deserve in a relationship click here to take The Pledge.

If you are in immediate danger, you can call 999.

Legal Advice

If you have experienced, or are experiencing abuse from your partner, the law is there to protect you.

Getting legal support can seem a bit daunting, and it's sometimes hard to know where to start.  To make things easier for you, it's always a good idea to get support from someone you can trust, such as a close friend or relative.

If you feel you are in danger, and need legal protection, a solicitor will be able to give you advice and assistance, providing you can prove you have been in a relationship.  You may be able to get free legal help if you can't afford it - a solicitor will be able to advise you on this.  Click here to find a solicitor near where you live, enter your postcode and click on 'Domestic Abuse'.

If someone is harassing you, the police can arrest them.  The police can also take this further, leading to a criminal conviction, or a restraining order to stop it happening again. 


One of the main ways the law can protect you from abuse is through taking out an injunction.  An injunction orders someone to stop doing something.  For example, if your partner is threatening to use violence, an injunction would legally order them not to do this.

In addition to this, an ‘exclusion zone' can be set up which will stop someone returning to, or coming near the place you live for a certain period of time.

There are different options that can be put in place to protect you - a solicitor will help you work out what will be best for your situation.

Social Care

If you are under the age of 16, and involved in any domestic violence incidents, Social Care (Social Services) will be informed to make sure you are protected.  If you report any incidents to the police, they will contact Social Care who will make sure you have the best help and support, making sure you have access to a solicitor.