Sexual Health

Staying safe

If you are being forced or pressurised into doing sexual things you don't like, or aren't sure about then this is abuse. To help yourself stay safe there are things you can look out for:

  • Being put under lots of pressure
  • Being made to feel stupid or bad for saying no
  • Being told you would do it if you loved them
  • Being bullied into having sex
  • Being encouraged to drink lots of alcohol or take drugs to make you more likely to have sex

If you are experiencing any of these you are not being respected.

You deserve to be with someone who respects you and your choices

Alcohol and Drugs

Alcohol and drugs can affect people differently at different times. Sometimes a person may still be able to give their full consent to sex or physical closeness, other times they may not.

When alcohol and drugs are involved more care needs to be taken by both partners to make sure sex or physical closeness is wanted.


It is important to think about what you what is best for you. You might find it helpful to talk about it with someone you trust

Being forced into sex or physical closeness without your consent is not your fault. If you have experienced rape or sexual assault support is available.

In any emergency situation or to report a rape or sexual assault contact the Police - 999

Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs)

There are 30 Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs) in England and Wales.

These centres are safe locations where victims of sexual assault can receive medical care and counselling, quickly and sympathetically.

Referral centres bring together all of the different legal and medical agencies and departments in one place, which helps both the victims and those investigating the crimes.

The SARC for Nottinghamshire is called the Topaz Centre.  0845 600 15 88.

To find a SARC closer to you click here.

Rape Crisis Centres offer counselling and specialist support to women and girls of all ages who have experienced any form of sexual violence. Rape Crisis can be contacted free of charge and in confidence.  Rape Crisis in Nottinghamshire - 0115 941 0440.

To find the Rape Crisis centre closest to you click here.

You can talk to Childline about any problem - 0800 1111

There are lots of sexual health clinics that can help you find out information about sex and contraception, and if you are in any way worried about your sexual health then they can help you.

If you would like information about sexual health, contraception or pregnancy, contact Brook  - 0808 802 1234

There is wide range of information on the NHS Website that can give you signs to look for and also information about what sexual infections there are.  It can also show you where the local health clinics are for your area. 
If you are in a relationship with someone of the same sex, you can find sexual health advice from the young people's sexual health website by clicking here.